Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Searching the Internet

Chris, Nolan, the Assistant University Librarian, talked to our class today, and had some very interesting things to say about searching the Internet and using search engines. I learned a lot of things about Google, the most popular search engine that I was not previously aware of. I never noticed that there were advanced search options, right next to the search button. I learned how I can narrow my results by simply typing in a few extra things into the search bar. I also did not know that Google takes over 200 factors into account when organizing search results. Google uses computer algorithms to organize the results. I was very surprised to find that different search engines, such as Google and Yahoo, provide fairly different search results, and organize them in a very different order.

No comments:

Post a Comment